Friday, August 7, 2009

When Only A Magazine Will Do

The beginning of the school year ushers in a very special season. Football, you say? Well, yes, that too, but what I was really referring to was the season of the magazine fundraiser. It won't be long before some adorable child with big brown eyes comes into my office and says, "Would you please buy a magazine subscription from me?"

Being a person who considers himself relatively well informed, I have to ask what the role of a magazine is in this age of digital media. What tree surrendered its pulp so I could live the fantasy of improving my golf swing? Does anyone ever really use those house plans in Southern Living?

Still, magazines are entrenched as an absolute necessity in at least one phase of all of our lives. I think we can agree on this. It transcends politics, religion, and race. Let's face it. The bathroom reading material of choice for most of us are magazines. I know there are a few out there who use their throne moments for the intellectual stimulation of crosswords or Sudoku, but chances are those puzzles are in some grocery store check-out line tabloid.

Perhaps the digital age will one day develop the technology to shake magazines from this lofty perch, but as of yet, it hasn't happened. The glossy pictures send us to places we've always dreamed of visiting and tempts us with recipes we'll get around to making one day.

So remember, when that adorable brown-eyed student asks if you would please buy a magazine, be grateful for the opportunity to support a good cause by buying something that is irreplaceable in your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment